Wednesday 19 July 2017

Ray Haas

So sorry to get this news.  I wish I could attend the Celebration, but I will be in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, at the huge airshow. I will be signing my book (the one that is dedicated to Barry), and thinking about him with every copy signed. 

I was so honored to meet him in 2009 at his home in Wynyard. My 5-year old son Noah, who had travelled with me to see Barry, was a bit uncomfortable with meeting people who he didn't know. Martha, seeing his discomfort, immediately took him under her wing and made friends with him in no time. That was such a special visit, one that I won't forget. 

Regards,

Ray Haas


P.S. Here’s a blog post I made after visiting Barry in September of 2009:




What I did on my summer vacation, or, Meeting a Genuine Hero


My son and I went on a little cross-country summer excursion a few weeks ago.  We had two objectives: visit Barry Needham in Wynyard, Saskatchewan, Canada, and attend the Canada Remembers Airshow in Saskatoon, SK.  And although the airshow was rained out, we did manage to meet Barry, who made the trip well worthwhile.

Departing the Portland, Oregon area, we drove northeast through Washington, and crossed into Canada at Kingsgate, northern Idaho.  Soon we traded the beautiful mountains of British Columbia for the plains of Alberta.  A couple of days found us in Saskatchewan province, making a left turn at Regina and winding up in the charming town of Wynyard.

Flight Lieutenant Barry Needham, RCAF (retired), joined 412 Squadron the same day as did John Magee.  At the time, Barry was a Flight Sergeant.  Turns out that Barry did not know John very well, as officers and enlisted men did not socialize too much.  But certainly they flew together; in the air, ranks seemed to mostly disappear.

Barry was able to give me a considerable amount of detail concerning Digby and Wellingore.  He was gave me a great gift: his entire file on John Magee.  Barry, being a member of 412 Squadron at the same time as Magee, had quite a bit of correspondence regarding Magee from various researchers.  What a treasure trove!  Thank you, Barry!

412 Squadron had quite a history after Magee died.  I understand the squadron moved something like 17 times during the war.  Barry’s actually served with 412 Squadron twice, at the beginning and end of the war.

Barry’s flying came to a halt after he was shot down by anti-aircraft fire over France.  Fortunately, he was not severely injured, and wound up in a POW camp.  Barry was liberated by Patton after just over a month.

I am deeply indebted to Barry for allowing me to spend a day with him and his lovely wife Martha (who very kindly took care of my son and also makes a wonderful lemon meringue pie!).  I hope I am as sharp as Barry is when I am 89!

It’s not every day that you get to meet a genuine hero.  Although Barry would not agree at all that he’s any kind of hero…. he was “just doing my job.”  I would have to disagree; anybody who has put themselves in harm’s way and have people trying to kill them are absolutely heroes.

Thanks, Flight Lieutenant Needham.



Barry and I in his office.


Barry with a Tiger Moth at primary flight training.



Barry’s wartime picture, medals and Wings

No comments:

Post a Comment

Celebration for Barry July 27, 2017

Barry Needham Celebration of Life

22 days short of his 97 th birthday and 2 years to the day since his wife, Martha passed , William Barry Needham, Rtd WWII spitfire pi...