Wednesday 19 July 2017

Messages of Condolence

Messages for Needham via email and text for blog posting
I am sorry to hear about the passing of Uncle Barry.  I have many fond memories of him and our family reunions at Fishing Lake.  

Much love to your whole family.  Wish we could be there for his celebration next week.  

Kim
_________________________________________________________________

Scott, No words can convey my heartfelt condolences for you and your family. Your father was a great man who did what he wanted to do when he wanted to do it - not many can actually say that they did. He sacrificed himself for the well-being of others - he handled the rough stuff so that we didn't have to. 
You and your family have done an outstanding job of looking after your loved ones and you should be commended for having done such an outstanding job of it, but after knowing where you got your inspiration from, I can see where you got it from. Keep your head up high, you have a lot to be proud of.
Your friend and fishing guide, 



Barry N D Roberts
___________________________________________________________________________


Debra, I have no words that could convey my words and feelings properly - I am sorry for your families great loss. Some people may have some regrets in life, of things that they wanted to do, people that they wanted to see and many other stuff - your father probably had none. He did what he wanted to do and  went where ever he wanted to go - He was full of life and was more spunky that anyone I have ever met.

It was my honor to have gotten to know your great father and I will cherish the memories of our trips together.

Your friend and fishing guide, 

Barry N D Roberts.

P.S - There is a fishing derby today for the community gathering that my community is having - I will be thinking of your dad fondly and will use some of the hooks that he gave me as I catch fish today in his honor.




Went fishing today in honor of your Dad! Pat and Ernie



A short note from a buddy of Dad’s in Fairview. 

Don rebuild a Canso which Dad saw during one of their visits to Peace River

My deepest regrets. I'll read his stories with great interest. 
The canso is really all about people like him rather than rivets and aluminum. 

Don
______________________________________________________________________


It was with great sadness that Luz and I heard of Barry,s passing, and
we wanted to send our sincere condolences to all your family with this
great loss.Luz and I are very fortunate to have become friends of both
Barry and Martha, and we feel their loss as much as if they were part
of our family too.
When you look up in the night sky those are not stars, Martha has
turned on the lights to welcome Barry home.With much love Don and Luz

___________________________________________________________

From Joe Brown- FLY HIGH MY FRIEND

Going back some 60 years the memories are just too many. As my boss, as president of the S.W.N.A.; my mentor and dear friend
I will always cherish the memories and many great times Barry and the S.W.N.A. gang had together before many went to "the Blue
Skies"... The "Airman's Story" sits front and center in my den. Thanks Barry for being my friend. Joe Brown (Swift Current Sun '57
to '66; S.W.N.A. Secretary Manager '66 to '78; founder Brown Communications), retired, Sidney, British Columbia. Love to you Denise. 
_____________________________________________________________________________



To the Barry Needham family,

                We are very sorry to hear of your father’s passing.  We fondly remember his visit and donation to our museum. 

Sincerely,
Board of Directors
SK Aviation Museum and Learning Center
________________________________________________________________
Dear Needham Family
Sad news indeed.  At least I can say I recorded some of his history in one of my books
Condolences from all of my family at such a sad time
Yours
Chris Goss
________________________________________________________________

Barry

You were one of the first Falcons when 412 sqn formed. You were an inspiration to so many. Barry and I met at White Waltham in 1990 and 1992 at Digby and since those times we kept in contact along with Martha.
Barry was a tireless help to me with my research which was a fantastic help. Your name honors the local airfield Needham Field.
It was a privilege and honor to have met 25 years ago.
Mary and I send our condoles to all your family.

Mary and Roy Nixon, England. 
_____________________________________________________

 Dear Needham family,

I’m drying my tears.  I was so fond of Barry and felt a strong bond, as I think he did with me, because Rod and he were such close friends.  It’s always hard to accept that a treasured friend is no longer here, no matter the age.  We had a lovely visit not long ago and I’ll treasure that but I’ll miss not being able to talk to him about those events of long ago that he shared with my brother.  It’s wonderful that they both got their incredible memories into print. 

A few weeks ago I heard that the Canadian War Museum wants to take Rod’s papers so I am deep into reading and organizing them to be sent there.  It’s a large and spell-binding collection and apparently they have facilities similar to the Canadian Archives for public researchers and are pleased to accept the papers.  Barry would have been happy to know that.  I’ll miss his warm and interesting notes that end with “Blue skies, Barry.”   

My condolences and love to you all,

Wendy
__________________________________________________________________

I only recently met Barry Needham at the Saskatchewan Aviation Museum on a cold winter night prior to him, his daughter and son boarding a train to the west coast. (March 2017)
 He was very interested in our upstart museum and donated some memorabilia for a future exhibit which was much appreciated.
Thank you for what you did in WWII and,  "may the wind be always on your tail" Sir.

Marc DeGirolamo


A flood of wonderful memories have come roaring back into my head.
What a privilege to have known W.B and Martha and to have shared some special times with them.
A true mentor in the publishing world, a friend and, yes, a hero in so many ways.
We will celebrate a life in full on the 27th and many more times after.
Norm and Jan


All we can say is....what a wonderful man who will be so missed. What a full life he lived! You kids have shown just how devoted you are to him and how much he was loved.
Please let us know if there is ANYTHING we can do, in any way, to be of help.

Hugs from Audrey & Dave
______________________________________________________________________
Good morning
I am very sorry for the loss of your dad. He was a wonderful man and a hero to both you and to Canada.
I know it feels much like been an orphan when both parents are gone.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Blessings
Mary

________________________________________________________________________

Hi Scott, 



Thanks for your update email. I find myself at a loss for words as I can only imagine your families feelings during this sad time. Please tell your Dad that I think of him often and tell many stories to colleagues and new acquaintances of a wonderful man, father and RCAF WWII pilot of whom I have the pleasure of knowing and calling him my friend. 


Barry, your a special man with a heart of gold and I feel very honoured to call you my friend.  We once shared the same RCAF uniform in the same Sqn but from different generations. We served our country with the same pride and sense of duty.  I am so grateful to have spent time with you and your loving/fun family.  God speed my old friend. 

As you once said, you are the last living person on earth to have served and known John Gillespie Magee, Jr. 

So it only seems fitting to use his words at this moment: 

Barry, you will know when it is time to  "slip the surly bonds of earth,
And dance the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......then put out your hand, and touch the face of God." 

Know that you are loved and will always be remembered. 

Your friend always,


Jeff Andrews

JWA
______________________________________________________________________


Hi Scott, 

Thank you for your email. Our thoughts are with you and you family at the sad time. Your Dad was a special man. I am so glad I had the honour to call him my friend. 

I hope you received and were able to 
to pass along my words to your Dad from my last email I sent to you.  

God bless Scott and god speed. 

I trust that he is now in a happy and peaceful place with your Mom. 

With love, 

The Andrews' Family 

Jeff
_______________________________________________________________________-


Hello Debra

My sympathy to you all. I will make every effort to attend the celebration of his life.
Thank you so much for letting me know.
"Making Time Fly....Your Way"
Michael
_____________________________________________________________________


Hello Needham Family,

Thank-you for taking the time to keep me updated on your father throughout the years, and during this past few weeks. I truly appreciate your efforts and know with certainty that Barry was a great man, as demonstrated by his and Martha's strong family bond in all of you.

It is with disappointment that I must pass along that I cannot attend the ceremony on Thu. Regrettably I was not able to coordinate my travel to participate and meet you all, as I am away from home throughout this period.

As mentioned in the past, I first met your father on approximately the 03 Jun 04. I met him at a large reception in the hotel where Barry and many other Canadian Veterans were staying, to commentate the anniversary of D-Day. There were a number of distinguished men that I had the opportunity to meet that evening, but your father notably stood out for me. Although I was brought up in Rose Valley to really detest Wynyard folk (more so on the hockey ice), his humble charm was.....comforting.

We chatted for quite some time that eve, learning much about what we had in common.

But another real highlight of this trip came the following evening, when my crew of three 412 Squadron members, and Barry with two of his WWII fighter pilot 412 Squadron went out for dinner at a small French restaurant. When the seven of us arrived we were seated at a splendid candlelit table in a small and intimate room, with only a couple of other tables in the room. As one of the tables was empty, and the other table was settling their bill, I thought the setting was perfect to have a private and colourful visit with our new friends.

I can say that I was not disappointed! If you know who the two fellas from the popular television program known as The Muppets are, who sit up in the balcony and entertainingly critique and joke about life (Statler and Waldorf), envision one more similar and loveable character, and you would be close to understanding the level of good banter and jovial rhetoric for hours at the table. I can't recall if the food was anything special, but I will say that plenty of red wine was enjoyed, reliving and listening to the daring and sometimes humours exploits of these three fellas!

I know that Scott would like to know in detail what was discussed, but those stories should only be lived and relived on French soil!

As we started to throttle back that evening, many hours after we truly had arrived, one more bottle of wine was brought to our table. It was one of the finest in the restaurant, and it was a gift from the table beside us. It was a gift for the table that was settling it's bill much earlier in the evening, but had stayed for hours, listening with absolute enjoyment to Barry and his friends tell stories about their experiences years earlier in life.  I can say with clear recollection, it was at that moment that my appreciation for Barry deepened significantly and emotionally. Was I ever fortunate to share a dinner with this great man and his friends.

But as you all know, I had a few more opportunities to share with Barry, and I really do adore them all.

Thank-you once again for including me in family activities/travels and keeping me updated on Barry's endeavours. I look forward to staying in touch. And I must apologize to Colin, as I did not have his contact information. But please do pass on my thoughts to him.

Enjoy your day reminiscing about your father and family, it really is what he would have wanted!

Most sincerely,
Chris Strawson
Friend of Barry Needham
______________________________________________________________________________



Hello Family of Barry,

My name is Lynn Janzen, I am the daughter of Otto and Doreen Janzen, former publishers of Star City, Naicam, Carrot River and NIpawin  newspapers. I read of Barry's passing in the Leader Post, so checked out the blogspot to be sure it was the same man I remember

My Dad always talked so highly of Barry. I slightly remember some war stories that were discussed one time when your Dad and several other publishes from "our corner " of the province gathered in Star City on a Saturday to discuss some printing stuff!  I was probably in my early teens so have no idea what it was about. I just remember  that  all the newspaper men from the area where there and Mom and I prepared and served the meals around the big work table in the shop.

As I recall your Dad and staff were of great help to my father when he was composing a family history book which has been enjoyed by many, even outside the family.

Otto passed away 3 years ago this August.

Thanks for posting in the Leader, it enabled a trip down memory lane for me!

Lynn 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Celebration for Barry July 27, 2017

Barry Needham Celebration of Life

22 days short of his 97 th birthday and 2 years to the day since his wife, Martha passed , William Barry Needham, Rtd WWII spitfire pi...